Saturday, September 11, 2010

Capri - Sat 11th Sept

So last night, as i'd had pizza for lunch i decided to put the search on hold and go a little more traditional. After being forced indoors for a couple of beers due to the wet weather, I located a very traditional looking trattoria on Via Tribunale. And here I had the Italian tradition of primo piatti followed by secondi piatti, then dolce, or coffee. I had Gnocchi alla Sorrento, followed by grilled lamb and then a caffé corretto, espresso with grappa.

Whilst in the restaurant, an American couple asked one of the waiters, "what is the fish tonight?". Without further ado, he came back through the restaurant, with a whole fish wobbling on the plate, saying "this issa the feesh".

After some great red wine, and a couple of auditions for Italy Has Got Talent, in the form of a guitarist, followed by an old signore playing the accordion, I decided to call it a night. Now, when I booked this hotel i did realise the area wasn't renowned for high class hotels and boutiques. See the picture below that highlights an all too depressingly familiar sight in Naples. But I didn't realise it was the stomping ground of the low class hookers of the city. Brazenly standing around at the back of my hotel. Unfortunately for them, that last wine had just tipped me over my daily budget, so off I trooped, alone, to my hotel.


This morning's plan was to go to the island of Capri, some 45 mins from Naples. So following a dreary breakfast in the hotel, and wondering why my key wasn't working in room 101, i was in 201, I went off for the long walk to the port, queued for a ticket, and got the 10.35am boat to Capri. And for the millionth time on this trip, I was faced with something of immense beauty. This time, Capri. What a beautiful place, reminicsent of Taormina in Sicily. Playground of the rich and famous. Hiking the couple of miles up a steep path to the top of the island I could have been transported a world away from Naples. Bougainvillea clad cottages, 5 star boutique hotels hugging the cliff sides, and views to die for across the sea.


There is serious money here. And shops that wouldn't look out of place in any fancy city in the world. And the women on Capri. Dare I say it? Even a notch up from the usual Italian heartbreakers. I spent many a pleasant hour just wondering around the little island, taking little streets to see where they ended up and discovering many a quiet corner, not invaded by the masses of tourists that descend on Capri on a daily basis.

Lunch was a simple, but delicious baguette of parma ham and fresh buffalo mozzerella. And a chilled Peroni sat in the shade back down by the marina, watching the boats come and go.


Now back at the hotel, relaxing before heading out for dinner tonight. And on the menu?

Pizza of course. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment